What Does it Cost?

Fee Overview

As is typical in the accreditation industry, PHAB instituted a fee structure to manage and maintain the national accreditation process. Moderate applicant fees are necessary in order for PHAB to provide quality services to both applicants for accreditation and accredited health departments in the future. Public health department accreditation is not a “one-time” event; it is an ongoing quality improvement commitment.

What the Fees Support

The fee your health department pays supports the evaluation of your health department’s application for accreditation and provides your health department with a full suite of ongoing accreditation services, including:

  • An assigned accreditation specialist to guide your department through the application process;
  • In-person training for your health department’s accreditation coordinator;
  • A subscription to PHAB’s online accreditation information system (e-PHAB), making it easier and more cost-efficient for your health department to participate in accreditation;
  • A site visit by a team of peer review experts, including a comprehensive review of your health department’s operations against the national accreditation standards;
  • A peer review process, including the decision and comments from the Accreditation Committee;
  • Annual quality improvement guidance and support over a period of 5 years
  • Support in preparing for re-accreditation;
  • Identified opportunities for improvements to help your health department better serve its population; and
  • Exclusive contribution to a growing network of accredited local health departments and best practices to enhance the evidence-base for public health.

Fee Structure

Fees are based on the size of the jurisdictional population served by the health department. Jurisdictional population is used as a proxy for complexity of the review. PHAB’s Accreditation Fee Schedule will be published annually, one year in advance. The rate is applicable for the period and process of the application. Invoices will be provided by PHAB to the applicant health department based on the category and payment schedule they select. The total fee is required to be paid, regardless of the outcome of the accreditation decision.

PHAB Accreditation Applicant Fee Schedule_January 1, 2014-June 30, 2016[1]

Payment of Fees

PHAB understands that health department budgets are strained now more than ever. In order to ensure cost does not become a barrier to qualified health departments seeking and earning accreditation, PHAB has developed a variety of flexible ways for health departments to pay their fees.

  • Health departments can pay in multiple-year increments, where 40 percent of the total fee is paid in the first year and the remaining 60 percent of the total fee is paid over the remaining years. (See 5-year payment plan example in table below.)
  • Health departments can pay with end-of-the-year grant funds (with approval of grant project officer).
Screen Shot 2015-08-11 at 1.06.50 PM
PHAB Accreditation Fee Schedule: January 1, 2014 through June 30, 2016 Five-Year Payment Option


PHAB Accreditation Applicant Fee Schedule_January 1, 2014-June 30, 2016

Click here to view the 2013 PHAB Accreditation Applicant Fee Schedule

Comments are closed.